The Wizard of Oz is a phenomenally successful 1939 musical film starring Judy Garland, and based on the Frank L. Baum children's novel "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz". It has been referenced many times in the BBC television series Life on Mars and both have several similarities.
Simliarities to Life on MarsEdit
DCI Sam Tyler and DorothyEdit
DCI Sam Tyler can be compared to the protagonist Dorothy Gale:
- They both live seemingly bleak lives: Before Sam enters a coma, life in 2006 to him and the viewers seem very repetitious and dull compared to 1973. To Dorothy, her life in rural Kansas is presented in black and white format to convey its dullness.
- They both stumble into an alternative worlds (1973 and the Land of Oz).
- Both first believe the experience was a dream but eventually come to terms in its realness.
References in Life on MarsEdit
- Gene tells Sam he can get him a transfer, picks up the phone and says, “Hello, is that the Wizard of Oz?” Then to Sam, “The Wizard'll sort it out. It's 'cause of the wonderful things he does.” (LOM Series 1: Episode 2)
- Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow is playing over the 2007 scenes. (LOM Series 2: Episode 8).
- A rainbow is visible behind Tyler and Annie Cartwright before they kiss (referring to the song). (LOM Series 2: Episode 8).